It’s been quite a while since my last blog; I did plan to post once a month or so, but due to a worldwide pandemic – I’ve been side tracked to say the least. After having an epic melt down right at the start when all this kicked off – I felt like I had entered the Twilight Zone (as I expect the majority of the world did too). It was at this point I realised that I needed to learn some form of anxiety management as I simply couldn’t continue as I was. I now reduce my time spent on news, social media, and instead I’ve shifted my focus on: music, nature, wildlife and art – all of which has greatly improved my mental health and general well being.
I see from various sources that anxiety is now at an all time high and it’s no surprise – many of us are struggling to do our best to manage in such unprecedented times. This is where I decided I wanted to help others like myself dealing anxiety during difficult times by giving away a Christmas freebie of some colouring artwork all based on my favourite Christmas film – The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.
Why Does Art Help with aniexty?
- Is it the nostalgia for the free colouring we experienced as children?
- Perhaps it gives us a creative outlet to break our rigid routines?
- Or could it be the mindfulness achieved as we disconnect from chaos and connecting to the present?
Medical Daily shared an article in which “Dr. Stan Rodski, a neuropsychologist who also has his own line of adult colouring books, says that colouring elicits a relaxing mindset, similar to what you would achieve through meditation.” The neuropsychologist further mentions that “like meditation, colouring allows us to switch off our brains from other thoughts and focus on the moment. Tasks with predictable results, such as colouring or knitting, can often be calming.”
It may be hard to believe Dr. Rodski since he owns his own line of adult colouring books, however, he didn’t base his findings off just assumptions. Instead, he used advanced technology to see what actually happens to our bodies when we colour. Dr. Rodski tells the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, “the most amazing things occurred — we started seeing changes in heart rate, changes in brainwaves.” He also mentions “there are three key elements—repetition, pattern, and detail—that prompt positive neurological responses in participants. When you have things that you can predict will happen in a certain way, it’s calming for us.”
The 7 Top Benefits of Colouring for Adults
- Your brain experiences relief by entering a meditative state
- Stress and anxiety levels have the potential to be lowered
- Negative thoughts are expelled as you take in positive vibes
- Focusing on the present helps you achieve mindfulness
- Unplugging from technology promotes creation over consumption
- Colouring can be done by anyone, not just artists or creative types
- It’s a hobby that can be taken with you wherever you go
FREE CHRISTMAS COLOURING PAGES
Here’s the artwork! All my free colouring pages are 300 dpi A4 JPGs.
So here’s a big YAY to all those positive vibes!
Please show off your colouring skills and share your artwork and the love on my Facebook page! Till next time – here’s to peace, love and hope for a great 2021…keep smiling peps 🙂